Derawan Island, Borneo

June 2, 2009 by Luka

Derawan island was on the top of our wishlist when we were planning our trip. We heard so many nice things about the island and also that it is really remote and it takes days to get there. Everything we heard is true, also the part of getting there. Here you can read what it takes to get to Derawan.It took us four days to get there but as soon as we reached Derawan all the bad things were forgotten. We were staying at Derawan homestay – a friendly family-run place – where we had a room on the stilts just on the shore. I can only recommend it!

Storm approaching. The weather is really unpredictable on the East of Borneo. There are regular showers but fortunately they last for an hour or so and then again the sun is shinning and the light is even more beautiful.

Sandy beach. A great place for a pleasant walk.

There are millions of sea shells that we never saw before.

At our homestay it was a jetty that was popular with children. Every afternoon whey were jumping to the sea and they were a great fun to photograph.

Children were not the only frequent visitors to our jetty. Sea turtles were swimming in a shallow waters looking for some leftovers from the restaurant.

Just a few hundred metres away there is a lone beach where sea turtles lay their eggs. They come to the shore at dark nights when they feel safer. They are easily scared away so I urge you not to disturb them too much. Do not use your flash and stay quiet as possible. Stay there for a short time only. I didn’t listen to these warnings and I scared away this poor turtle with my flash. Even now i feel bad about it and I will never do it again.

Derawan village from the jetty.

A future mechanic.

Children at Derawan island are pure fun! They are always keen models for a photographer and sometimes you just cannot get rid of them:)

Next time i will post some photos from an amazing trip to Sangalaki and Kakaban islands where we went for a day trip. Stay tuned;)

And do not forget to check my other posts on Borneo!

And here is some literature we read during our trip:

Share and Enjoy:
  • SphereIt
  • Technorati
  • Add to favorites
  • Twitter

Related posts

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

Comments

13 Responses to “Derawan Island, Borneo”

1. katja on June 2nd, 2009 8:02 pm

beautiful pictures as always! Amazing how great is our planet! :) )

2. Ana on June 4th, 2009 3:57 pm

When I go to Borneo, I’ll make a point of visiting this little gem. Love the serenity of the first photo and the lines in #3. As for the kids, yes, they are adorable. :)
    Great photos, as usual!

3. Pavel on June 28th, 2009 6:01 am

Great photos and very interesting blog. I’m going to Borneo, Kalimantan, Sulawesi and I will surely study your posts thoroughly.

I have a question. I want to spen in several places by the sea on my trip. What I need is good swimming, nice view and electricity (at least hale night or so on – I’m doing some work on laptop). But I want to stay on the budget. Do you think Derawan is a place I should consider on my trip?

4. alfin on July 29th, 2009 1:17 pm

great shots luka.. nice stories too..

5. rina on October 3rd, 2009 11:28 am

Nice pictures and stories..u describe indonesia my country and borneo island so beautiful and very touching :)

6. Katja on June 17th, 2010 12:14 pm

Same place, similar feelings. More photos coming, but here´s some. Enjoy!

7. Nitha on June 22nd, 2010 8:38 pm

Wooww… I have been there too in Derawan.. one of many beautiful islands of my country, Indonesia.. I have seen mantas too :-) ))
    It was really perfect incredible amazing holiday for me too :-) )

8. Nitha on June 22nd, 2010 8:52 pm

By the way, thank you so much for amazing pics… I will come back again to Derawan soon.. :-)

9. Ahmad Bahruddin on August 5th, 2010 2:21 am

Thanks for promoting our tourism spot, I do hope that it could more popular than Bali and become the first priority for those who want to get the best in life.
    God bless you.

10. azzricci on September 1st, 2010 4:55 am

I want to there, its my dream city…….

11. safariman on March 29th, 2011 9:38 pm

Wonderful stories! Wonderful photos. I’m planning a trip to the Philippines and Indonesia right now, and you have some VERY helpful information! Thank you!

12. Luka on March 29th, 2011 10:58 pm

Glad to help! Good luck with your travel to Phillipines!

13. Gita Listya A on December 22nd, 2013 6:55 pm

Wow those picture look awesome! Thanks for writing about Derawan Island. This is such a great article :) Anyway, if you need more reference about Indonesia maybe you can also visit http://www.jakpost.travel, I also read some informative articles there. I hope it could be useful for you too.

Feel free to leave a comment...

Bottom